top of page

Expungements / Gun Rights Restoration

Just because you have a prior felony conviction does not mean you have permanently lost your gun rights in Oregon.


There are several means to regain the right to bear arms after a felony conviction. In some cases, your underlying felony conviction can be expunged. In others, we may be able to get your felony reduced to a misdemeanor. A third option is to petition the court for an order restoring your gun rights. That method does not get rid of your prior conviction but it can give the right to possess and purchase firearms again.


We can evaluate your record and determine which option will work best for you.


1.  Expungement. a.k.a. "Expunction"


The relevant Oregon statute is found at ORS 137.225.  That section allows for a motion to be filed in the court where you were convicted asking the judge to expunge (or remove the conviction from your record) and to seal the file.  The requirements for an expungement are as follows:


- At least three years must have passed from the time of the judgment;

- You must not have committed any new crimes since the crime you are asking to have expunged;

- At the time you file the motion, you must have had a ten year-period with no other crimes besides the crime you are seeking to expunge;

- The crime you are trying to expunge must be a misdemeanor or a class B or C felony;

- The crime cannot be a class A felony (except for some marijuana crimes) and cannot be a sex crime or child abuse related crime.


If you have a conviction for sex crime there are some exceptions to the rule against expungement. Please contact us to discuss them.


If you meet the requirements we will file the motion and serve a copy on the District Attorney who will have the right to object and request a hearing.  There is a $240 filing fee that must be paid to the court.  You will also need to provide us with fingerprint card and check for $80 that will go to the Oregon State Police.  If the D.A. does not object, the judge will typically sign the order and the information will be sent to the State Police and record of the conviction removed from the state-wide law enforcement database.  If the D.A. requests a hearing then the judge will have to determine if your "circumstances and behavior" since the time of the conviction justify the granting the motion.


2.  Petition to Restore Gun Rights.


ORS 166.247 allows a convicted felon to petition the court for the restoration of the person's rights to possess, purchase and transfer firearms in Oregon.  This may be the only option to restore gun rights if you do not qualify for an expungement.  The requirements for a successful petition include the following:


- A petition filed in the county of your current residence;

- A $240 filing fee to court;

- A copy of the petition must be served on the county sheriff or chief of police;

- Your felony conviction cannot have been a "person" felony that involved the use or threatened use of a firearm;

- Your felony cannot have been a "Measure 11" felony; and,

- The judge must find by clear and convincing evidence, that the petitioner does not pose a threat to the safety of the public or the petitioner.


If the court grants the petition, the order along with your fingerprint card will be forwarded to the Oregon State Police so the information can be entered into the statewide law enforcement database.



Keywords: The Dalles Oregon Lawyer, the dalles lawyer, the dalles attorney, the dalles attorneys, the dalles divorce lawyer, the dalles custody lawyer, the dalles custody lawyers, the dalles family law lawyers, the dalles duii lawyer, the dalles criminal defense lawyer, the dalles adoption lawyers, the dalles adoption lawyer, the dalles measure 11 lawyers, the dalles child support lawyers, the dalles custody attorney, the dalles oregon duii lawyers, the dalles oregon custody lawyers, hood river divorce lawyer, hood river divorce lawyers, hood river divorce attorney, hood river custody lawyer, hood river duii lawyer, hood river criminal defense lawyer, hood river adoption lawyer, the dalles grandparent's rights lawyer, the dalles expungement lawyer, sherman county oregon lawyer, gilliam county oregon lawyer, Condon Oregon lawyers, Moro Oregon lawyers, Arlington Oregon lawyers, Hood River Oregon duii attorneys, Hood River Oregon criminal attorneys, best lawyers in the dalles oregon, best divorce lawyers in the dalles oregon, good lawyers in the dalles oregon, best Hood River Oregon lawyers, best lawyers in Hood River Oregon, best lawyers in Wasco County Oregon, best lawyers in Hood River county Oregon, best lawyers in Sherman County Oregon, best lawyers in Gilliam County Oregon, best Gilliam County divorce lawyers, best Sherman County Oregon divorce lawyers, find good lawyer in The Dalles Oregon, find good divorce lawyers in The Dalles Oregon, best custody lawyers in The Dalles Oregon, best family law lawyers in The Dalles, best family law lawyers in The Dalles Oregon, best family law lawyers in Hood River, best family law lawyers in Hood River Oregon, how do I get felonies off my record?, how do I get Oregon crimes off my record?, how do I get my record expunged in Oregon?, how do I get my record expunged in The Dalles Oregon, find best duii lawyers in the dalles oregon, best duii lawyers in Hood River Oregon, the dalles juvenile law lawyers, Wasco County Juvenile law, child welfare lawyers the dalles, restraining order lawyers the dalles oregon, best child support lawyers in the dalles, restraining order defense the dalles oregon, how do I get a restraining order dropped in the dalles oregon?, Maupin Oregon lawyers, Tygh Valley Oregon lawyers, Odell Oregon lawyers, how do I get visits with my kids in the dalles oregon?,

bottom of page